View Laura Blair Johnson's profile on LinkedIn

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Single?

The old driver at the airport park-n-ride shouted "are you single?" as I stepped out of my car. Stunned, I looked around with that 'who me?' expression on my face. Is it starting to show, I wondered? I'm suddenly lost in my own thoughts thinking about what the world sees when they look at me. It was only 5:00 a.m. I hadn't yet had my first cup of coffee and I'm not exactly use to such an affront. Apparently, I didn't respond quick enough as he yelled it again. "Ma'am, are you single?" With an affirmative reply from me, he then said "okay, I'll take you." Great! He'll take me. Thank God, I respond to him. He paused for just a second and looked up at me over the top of his glasses. Then in a very kindly, grandfatherly manner he gave me his business card with the information as to how to retreive my car upon my return, explaining to me exactly what I needed to do step by step. I think he felt sorry for me.

Traveling three days before Christmas requires patience, a sense of humor and a good book. The airport was a loud, jarring, angry, harried mob scene. It all sort of swirled around me and I let the stream of people just carry me along with them. It was kind of fun!

No comments: