View Laura Blair Johnson's profile on LinkedIn

Friday, July 04, 2008

I LOVE three day weekends!

The possibilities are endless and the plans are few. The perfect storm of a holiday weekend. I've started an online photography class to learn how to use my Nikon D80 SLR camera and I'm ready to get started on the first lesson. I've realized after owning this camera for over a year that I have no clue how to really use it and my pictures suck. I took better pictures with a point and shoot camera, but I've always wanted to do more.

This week I'm listening to John Hiatt - Same Old Man. I went to his concert at the Pantages last Saturday night and loved his show. I'm not sure how I've gone through my whole life without knowing this singer...he's folk, he's John Prine like, he's a singer, songwriter, story-teller like my uncles. He had me at hello.

This week I'm reading 'Queen of Fashion" a frock by frock account of the French Revolution and Marie Antoinette. It's very detailed and quite long so it will take a while to get to the bloody revolution part, but it's well written and engaging. I recently saw a documentary on public tv about her and wanted to learn more. We all know the shocking ending, but I really wanted to understand what led up to that. The brutality and hatred is mind boggling even by todays standards. Good 4th of July reading, don't ya think?

No comments: