View Laura Blair Johnson's profile on LinkedIn

Thursday, October 29, 2009

...and 25 years ago I had a baby!

There were flurries on October 29, 1984 when we drove to Ramsey Medical Center.  The contractions started sometime during the night and by morning I was exhausted and wanting to go to the hospital.  We lived in a big, old house in St. Paul - our apartment was on the top floor and we used a skeleton key to access our four little rooms.  That morning I sat on the top step, dressed and waiting for my husband.  He had to tie my shoes.  Every 10-12 minutes or so I would have a contraction so in-between we hurried to the car.

In the suitcase my husband carried to the car was a brand new white/blue robe (that I still have) and matching slippers.  I had hand lotion, lip gloss, magazines, a book and playing cards. The maternity ward was busy that day and I never made it to a birthing room.  Those wonderful family birthing rooms were a fairly new concept back then and sadly I never saw the inside of one.  My room was really a check-in room, used for over flow.  I was comfortable, but there were no amenities for family. We walked the halls and practiced our Lamaze breathing. The television was on, but I don't recall what, if anything, we were watching. 

The morning quickly turned to afternoon and at one point, while I was still arranged neatly on the bed, the door to my room opened at the same time as the door across the hall.  The image I saw haunts me still today.  I whispered to the doctor..."What's wrong with that lady?" He said happily "She's having a baby!"  She was on all fours; her hair was flung forward, her hospital gown tangled around her.  She was making animal noises and a couple of nurses were fussing around her bed.  I was horrified.  Nothing that unladylike had ever occurred to me would be a part of bringing a baby into the world. I was told she was fine and this was all but normal.  Now I'm thinking - uhoh - I should have asked for drugs. 

Stacy Jo was born at 4:06 p.m.  Although I begged at one time for an epidural, it was too far past the time to administer one and I had signed papers previously agreeing to natural childbirth.  What an idiot. Yet, she arrived safely - just under 6 lbs and perfect in every way.  

Less than 24 hours later I was home with this delightful little ball of head and blanket. It's hard for me to believe so much time has past...

1 comment:

Stacy Castle said...

Great story Mom!! I can't believe you asked for natural childbirth!! I would have never guessed!!