View Laura Blair Johnson's profile on LinkedIn

Sunday, February 21, 2010

count down to Spring break - 17 days

I've long suspected this to be true, but my theory on vacation planning was confirmed in a New York Times article I read this morning.  People experience more happiness before their vacation then afterwards.  It's all part of the thrill of planning.

My next adventure is a Spring break trip to Chicago with Stacy and Tom.  There is lots to do and see so we'll have to let the weather dictate some of our outings.  I've never been to Millennium Park  so that's high on my list.  I've never been to the Art Institute of Chicago either, but I may be pushing my luck with that one. Not sure my travel partners will be as enthused to do that as I am.   I love Navy Pier and the Lincoln Park Zoo so they may be good options.

The last time I was in Chicago was Thanksgiving weekend.  My sister was moving and we found ourselves homeless (sort of) on Thanksgiving Day.  While looking for a place to have a Thanksgiving meal we stopped into a cafe that we found open near her new house.  Everyone was smiling and nodding at us as we walked in - so warm and inviting.  As we made our way through the restaurant though it became clear that this was no ordinary day at the diner.  The happy, over-compensating hostess was clearly treating us like special needs adults.  Did my hair look that bad?  They were serving a meal for the homeless and not open to the public.  Geesh - we were kinda homeless and the turkey did smell really good...... No, no...we left with our dignity and just a few baked goods purchased out of the case (after much fussing over the cash register and interrupting the owners meal).

But I digress....this trip is purely for relaxation and pleasure.  No packing, hauling, cleaning, or fighting with movers.

The truth is I don't really care what we do - it will just be fun to all be together at my sisters.  Waking up in the same house, hanging out together all day, falling asleep under the same roof.  Thinking about these simple things is putting a smile on my face.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to click on the "like" button. I can't wait for you all to get here.

Cathy