View Laura Blair Johnson's profile on LinkedIn

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

my books are collecting dust

My February reading has taken a back seat to a bunch of other activities.  I'm way behind the goal I set for myself of a book every two weeks.  Why?  Well, first it's all those other activities.  Dinner parties, going out dancing, evening meetings, hanging out with friends, watching the Olympics, watching Dexter On Demand - season 4, listening to some new music in the morning instead of a book on tape.  Lately, I'm a bit obsessed with Lady Gaga.  

Still though, I'm usually juggling a fairly active social calendar while managing down time for the books I love.  I'm working on getting through "The Book Thief" which is written in Nazi Germany and the main character is death.  It's slow to get in to, yet I'm determined to read it because I think it's worth the effort.  I'm just finding myself either too tired or too tipsy to read before bed like I normally do.

Books are such a central theme of my life that I'm finding that I miss them this morning.  I'm not sure what life is like for people who don't read on a regular basis. I'm not judging, just curious what they use to fill that void.  Plus I believe you miss out on so much when you don't take the time to escape into the written words of a really great author from time to time.

1 comment:

Neutron said...

Totally agree about losing yourself in a good book...there's nowt like it.