View Laura Blair Johnson's profile on LinkedIn

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Codroy Valley - Newfoundland

This is the view I woke to at the Cape Anguille Lighthouse B & B. The Atlantic Ocean! Oddly enough I had a strange, creepy dream the last night I woke up here. Maybe the lighthouse is haunted. An eerie feeling stayed with me all day.
The Codroy Valley is a poor fishing village. The people live very simply off the ocean.
"You just won't understand,
Till you've been to Newfoundland!"
This little poem helps with the proper pronunciation of Newfoundland
The emphasis is very slightly on 'land' and it sounds like NewfinLAND
when the Newfies say it.
The only moose we have seen so far....stuffed in a museum. They are huge!
Sadly, the only Puffins I have seen are in the museum stuffed as well. Once mating season is over the puffins lose their colorful beak and disappear. One local lady even said - "I can't imagine me poor puffin without it's beak."
A few pictures from around the lighthouse.




A mile or so down the beach from the lighthouse I discover some ship wreckage that has probably been there for many years.
The lighthouse is off towards the left of this picture near the beach front. This is the little four room house next to the lighthouse where we slept.
I spent a lot of time walking the beach... This is not your typical tourist destination, yet a number of interesting guests came and went at the lighthouse.
The land is rugged and scrubby - rough bushes and stubby trees are a result of the salt air and harsh winters.
My final look at the ocean from the Newfoundland vantage point.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos of the Codroy Valley. I am a resident of the Codroy Valley and sorry but we're nto a poor fishing village. Didn't you see the fields? Not one single person in my family was involved in the fishery. Maybe you'll have to stop and look around a bit more on your next visit!

Anonymous said...

Puffins can be found on the East Coast of Newfoundland. Beautiful birds aren't they!