View Laura Blair Johnson's profile on LinkedIn

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Travel

The journey begins with a flight to Halifax tomorrow - two weeks of exploring Nova Scotia and Newfoundland are ahead. With plane delays, heightened security and tickets on Northwest Airlines -- I have no idea what the next 24 hours will bring. Yet, as I pack I sing a song from the "Sound of Music". I think it was called 'I have confidence in me'. Maria sings it as she leaves the Abby and heads off to become a governess.

What will this day be like?
I wonder.
What will my future be?
I wonder.
It could be so exciting,
To be out in the world,
To be free!
My heart should be wildly rejoicing.
Oh, what's the matter with me?
I've always longed for adventure,
To do the things I've never dared.
Now here I'm facing adventure
Then why am I so scared?

Hopefully, we will arrive as scheduled at 10p.m. tomorrow in Halifax...but as travelers we will see what we see - said perfectly in the following quote.

"The traveller sees what he sees,
the tourist sees what he has come to see."
-Gilbert K. Chesterton

A few more quotes about traveling that I enjoyed and thought you would too!

Half the fun of the travel is the esthetic of lostness. ~Ray Bradbury

One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things." –- Henry Miller

If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home." -- James Michener

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." -- St. Augustine

Don't tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have traveled." — Mohammed

Remember what Bilbo used to say: It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to. - J.R.R. Tolkien

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.
- Marcel Proust

“I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine. - Caskie Stinnett

No comments: