View Laura Blair Johnson's profile on LinkedIn

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Just like a woman

It's been a long winter, or it's taking a long time for Spring to take hold - I'm not sure which. I'm bored with my current routine and look forward to a different pattern. Stacy told me last night she wants to get another tattoo while on vacation this year. I'm opposed. As her mother though, I played along and am hopeful it won't be anything too um...big. Our conversation took an interesting turn as we (I) reminisced about the night she told me something a mother never wants to hear. It was from her highschool days and had to do with her boyfriend. Yes, that's right, these new fangled kids think they gotta tell us old fashioned parents everything. But I was a hip young mother. I could handle any news with cool advice and affirming words. Here's how it went....

Stacy: Mom, long pause.
Me: What? (I'm preoccupied cleaning up the kitchen.)
Stacy: I need to tell you something.
Me: Okay (not really paying attention...yet)
Stacy: blah, blah, blah boyfriend...blah, blah, blah first time
Me: What! How did that happen?!? Wait...
Me: Don't say anything - give me a minute.
Stacy: Sits down at the kitchen counter (she knows me)
Me: I begin emptying the dish washer, clanging away putting silverware in drawers, turning to look at her.
Me: Angry - hands on my hips - I'm calling his Mother! Nope, wait...give me a minute.
Stacy: waiting, quiet...her eyes might have rolled once, but I'm not sure. She's far more mature than me and is watching me interally freak out.
Me: Thinking to myself....I can't believe it, I can't believe what is coming out of my mouth, how can I be so bad at this?
Me: Continue to pile dishes into the cupboard, wiping counters, time is moving in slow motion - this is the moment a mother prepares for, I'm not going to screw this up.
Me: Get him on the phone; he's no longer welcome in this house! Wait, nope, just don't say anything, give me a minute.
Stacy: big tear rolling down cheek
Me: okay, after 30 minutes of internal combustion I can now speak in a rational way, listen and be a mom.

After a long talk we are laying on the sofa together and then the conversation takes an interesting turn.

Stacy: How did you tell Grandma?
Me: Ummm
Stacy: Did she get mad?
Me: well, we haven't had that conversation yet, but no, I don't think she'll be mad. :)

As a woman, I love how close my daughter is to me and how we tell each other everything. It's only as a mother that I have a little trouble from time to time. The good news is, now we are in agreement about where the line is drawn in the sand on the few things we don't need to tell each other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot Mom!!

I'm just SURE everyone needed to know about THAT conversation... :)