View Laura Blair Johnson's profile on LinkedIn

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Gonna be a long Monday

Dinner and a Show
Had dinner at 'The Muddy Pig' on Selby in St. Paul Saturday night. The menu consisted of about five pages of alcohol - beer, scotch, wine, Irish whiskey - American and European with dozens of variety of each and a page or so of food. I played it safe and a little boring with the Colorado Fat Tire, but it's so good and not always easy to find in Minnesota, or not easy in Red Wing, Minnesota. We ordered off the appetizer menu - hummus, bruschetta, Quesadilla de Tinga (what's de Tinga? - I have no idea). The bruschetta is worth going back for, that along with the lively atmosphere of the pub. After that it was off to see John Prine. He put on a great show at the State, but....oh and I really hate to say but...it was nothing like the last time I saw him. He got kinda old in just two years. Don't get me wrong his music was great; he just didn't connect with the audience in the same way with his stories. Check out the review at http://www.startribune.com/17646714.html. I'm a loyal fan regardless of the 61 year olds receding hairline and paunchy, Buddha like body. I just hope he has a few more 'Gonna be a long Monday' or 'Lake Marie's' in him. Would love to hear something new.

What I'm reading this week...
I haven't given up on Tolstoy or Anna Karenina, but I started "The History of Love" by Nicole Krauss which is my book club read. The first chapter starts with an old guy waiting to die who each day tries to make a point to be seen. Might be a glimpse into my own future.

What I'm listening to this Monday...
I bought three new cd's yesterday while hanging around the Barnes & Noble with a friend. We both love the music shop and listening to a wild range of stuff (that we would never buy) on the headphones. A friend sent me the "Into the Wild" cd which I listened to every day last week, so I'll let that one rest for now - it's very good and the baritone of Eddie Vedder sends a chill down my spine. I have a new Patty Griffin, Children Running Through, which is full of her original work and just beautiful. I managed one run through of the music while I did a little painting last night in one of the bedrooms. I was supposed to be done painting by now (Spring), but I'm lazy and unmotivated most of the time and work better under pressure. In a few weeks I'll have company so I'll be forced to get things sorted out up there. I'll get back to you on the other two cd's - oh, they had an Indie Sale which was buy two get the third one free so I splurged.

What did you read, listen to or see this weekend that gave you inspiration to face a long Monday?

No comments: