View Laura Blair Johnson's profile on LinkedIn

Monday, January 18, 2010

yes, and I'm very grateful!

MPR was asking listeners today if a day off of work was the best way to honor MLK day.  Well, those of us who had the day off would certainly say YES.  

One of my dearest friends had surgery today so I spent mine honoring her and her family by taking her to the hospital and sitting with her sister all day until we got word that all went well.  Admittedly, I didn't think of the life and work of Martin Luther King much.  Instead I sat in a surgery waiting room with lots of families.  Every time a surgeon entered the room our eyes would follow him to the family members anxiously waiting for news of their loved ones.  It was a good day in that waiting room.  Sighs of relief, smiles and thank you's  filled the room.  I witnessed compassionate, humble doctors patiently explaining procedures and reassuring families that all went very well.  We likewise received the same news.  

I'm not sure what  her life will be like with 5 yards of coiled steel in her body (airports could be an issue), but the aneurysm has had its life line cut off and hopefully her eye sight will improve and the double vision will go away. 

So, did I spend MLK day the way I wanted to...





No comments: